Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Lesson Thirteen: Fantasy Makeup--Frost Fairy

       For our Fantasy Makeup lesson, we could take any kind of character we chose, but we had to incorporate a household item into our design. Weeks ago I was looking forward to this one because I was hoping to create the Firebird from old Russian legends that could transform herself into a beautiful woman. I wanted to create red and gold flames on her face in her human state, where motifs of her bird state would still be present, like ballet dancers who do Swan Lake. But I didn't have any household items at the time that would accommodate that, and as we were nearing Finals Week and I was performing in a play at night, I didn't have time to leave campus and go to a craft store and buy things for that.
       Then I thought maybe a wizard, and I could pull apart my cotton balls for the mustache and beard. But it wouldn't be a long one. Then I thought I could still use the cotton fluff, but have a frost giant or something like that. But still the beard wouldn't be long enough.
       So I finally settled on a Frost Fairy, and decided to use sugar as my household item, to be the frost crystals.
       Basically I painted my face white, used blue eyeshadow and blue eyeliner for the frost patterns on my "flesh", and put Spirit Gum in places where I wanted the sugar to stick; like eyebrows, cheeks and lips. Basically it is similar to the design I wanted to use for the Firebird, just for ice instead of fire. I could have really gone crazy with the blue lines and curves, but part of the beauty of ice crystals is how simple and elegant their design is. So I stopped when it seemed enough and I didn't want to go overboard. Onstage though, I would probably use silver costume glitter instead of sugar, which doesn't show up as much or sparkle. It might work for a movie or a TV show though.
       I think it turned out rather well. It's very pretty, and a good Halloween costume idea for me--maybe minus the sugar.
       I'm sharing three pictures from before I put the sugar on first, so you can see the blue scrollwork. Then I have the finished design.












No comments:

Post a Comment